Peyronie’s disease diagnosis

It is important to make an appointment to see your GP who may in turn refer you to a urologist for specialist advice on treatment. It is common to feel embarrassed to talk about Peyronie’s disease, even with a doctor, but is important you get a diagnosis as soon as you can so you can begin treatment.

A hard lump or plaque can be identified by a doctor when the penis is flaccid. The examination will reveal how many sites of plaque there are and how hard or calcified they have become.

To see the bend or curve, the practitioner needs to see the penis when erect. Nowadays the easiest way to do this is to bring a photograph of your erect penis with you to the appointment.  Alternatively, an intracorporeal injection, administered by a medical professional, can induce an erection.


The doctor will ask questions about how long the lump(s) has been evident, and when the curve or bend started to appear. They will assess all the symptoms including the lump/plaque, the degree of pain, the extent of the curve, whether there is any change of shape or size, and how much it has changed, in order to make a diagnosis. 

It is important to explain fully how this condition is affecting your relationship and sex life, so that different treatments can be considered.

Your GP may refer you to a urologist, a specialist in diseases of the urinary tract and the male reproductive system, for confirmation of the diagnosis and to discuss the treatments available.  The urologist may arrange for an ultrasound examination or MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), neither of which are invasive procedures. These examinations will provide more evidence of the changes in the penis, and only require your attendance as an outpatient.

To get an idea of what a urologist can do, the interview on this pdf is very informative:  Prof Ralph Interview MyPeyronie’s